Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cameron Highlands, Malaysia 25 - 28 October 2012

Hi readers, this time I will introduce you to another place in Malaysia. If you are looking for a destination with cool weather and quiet place to relax for a short while, then Cameron Highlands can be an option for you to go. This place takes only 4 hours of driving time from Kuala Lumpur and takes about 9 hours of driving time from Singapore.

I went there on 25th night by Five Star coach. I bought the return ticket for SGD 110 during peak season. If no peak, it should be around SGD 85 for return ticket. Gathered at Golden Mile Complex on 10 PM to check in, then the coach left Singapore at 10.30 PM. I got double decker coach and sat at lower deck, had a bad experience during the journey. Sorry to say, but this time the coach had a lot of small cockroaches. The driver sprayed insect repellent, but it didn't work, even worse, more cockroaches came out from their nest. Hope Five Star travel can pay attention to this and do something better to maintain their quality. 
During the journey, the coach stopped 3 times for us to go to toilet. I spent a whole night by sleeping. Arrived at Cameron around 8.30 AM, we took break for about half an hour to have our breakfast at local market there, the weather was very cold in the morning. Before we were heading to our destination hotel, there was another travel named Titi Wangsa tour & travel that welcomed us and offered us some tour packages. According to them, Titi Wangsa and Five Star are in the same group of company. Don't worry, all Titi Wangsa's tour guide is able to speak English well.
Basically, there is 4 tour packages that they offered :
- Leisure tour RM 25/adult
- Nature discovery tour RM 60/adult
- Agro delight tour RM 65/adult include 1x dinner
- Sunrise spectacular RM 65/adult
And some other packages like hiking, night forest adventure by request. For more details, you can refer to their website.

I took 2 packages, Nature discovery and Agro delight tour. After finish my breakfast, they transferred me to hotel to put all my bags first before I continued with Nature discovery tour. There was about 10 persons who joined this tour. At first, we were brought to the highest level of Mt. Brinchang, on halfway, the car stopped for a while to let us enjoyed wide tea plantation. They called  it as "Giant Green Carpet", very beautiful. Then at the top of Mt Brinchang, there is a small tower where we can climb up to see a most panoramic view of the highlands. We continued the trip to Mossy Forest, in here the tour guide showed and explained us many kinds of plant that can be used for medicine, very useful information.

From Mossy Forest, we were heading to BOH Tea factory, to see the full process of how tea is made but too bad the factory was closed at that time. Around 2.30 the tour finished, all of us was sent back to our hotel. I stayed at Heritage Hotel, the hotel is quite nice, clean and provide affordable price. Previously I booked this hotel from Agoda, it's SGD 222 for 2 nights staying include breakfast. I got spacious room at 6th floor, I think this room can be occupied by up to 5 persons, really a big room, even they have one shower and one bathtub in a bathroom. The bed sheet and towel they provided looked a bit old and dull but it's not a problem for me as long as the bathroom is clean and the room doesn't have bad smell.

I took a nap for a while before I went out to take a stroll and looked for dinner. The hotel is near with coffee shop and restaurants, just 5 mins walk. I purposely chose the local street food one, ate beef noodle soup, it's just RM 5, then I went back to hotel to take rest.

The next day, I woke up at 8AM,  took shower and went down to have breakfast. They have many kinds of meal but taste just so so. One more thing, if you come late, not so many choices of meal remained as for several foods, they will not add some more once it finished. Since my second tour started at 2.30 PM, I used up my times to go outside taking a stroll, took photos. I also spent some times in the hotel's library before I went back to my room. Lazy to go out again for lunch, I then ordered spaghetti from my room, it's RM 18.

About 2.15 PM I went down and waited for the tour guide came and picked me up for the tour. This tour was joined by 7 persons. Firstly, we went to vegetable farm, in here we can try their sweet corn, just eat them raw. Too bad, I didn't have chance to try it. You can also buy fresh veggies here. After that we went to cactus farm where we can see many kinds of cactus plant. Actually after cactus farm, we were supposed to see chrysanthemum farm but too bad, according to tour guide, the farmer had just harvested the flower, even we went there also nothing to see. So he suggested us to go to mushroom farm. Though the farm is small but they have a lot of mushroom plants. Then we continued to see watercress farm and strawberry farm. In here, you can pick your own strawberry for RM 30 /half kg and RM 50 /kg.

Lastly we went to hydroponic farm before we had our steamboat dinner at Titi wangsa hotel. The dinner is included in tour package. I had my dinner alone, a bit awkward while others were eating in group. After dinner, tour guide alighted us at night market near their office. We had about one and half hour to explore the market before we gathered at the office for them to send us back to hotel. They charged us RM 3 as additional fee for transportation to hotel because the tour should be finished after dinner but since we requested for additional tour which was night market so they had to charge for additional transportation fee.

The next morning, I woke up a bit earlier to get more choices of breakfast, hehehe. I packed all my stuffs and waited for the bus to pick me up back to Singapore. Exactly at 10 AM the bus came, lucky it was direct bus to Singapore. It was really a long trip of going back, traffic jam in Johor Bahru and I arrived home at 12 AM. 

Click here to see all the pics.


No comments: